On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/11/13 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
>

>> On 12 Nov 2011, at 23:11, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>>

>> 2011/11/12 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

>>> I can't make a meaning of that... we do not share a "consciousness", not
>>> in any definition of that term.
>>>

>>> Let me try, assuming mechanism. Would you agree that in the case you are
>>> cut and pasted in two different places, the resulting individuals share a
>>> common memory-past?
>>>

>> They share a common past memories, but as soon as they are "duplicated",
>> they do not share their consciousness, only past memories.
>>

>>  "pure consciousness" is what is invariant through the change of
>> memories.
>>

> I'm not sure it is meaningful. I call that 1st person experience.
> Consciousness has a subject.

By "a subject" do you mean "one subject" or "at least one subject"?  If
there are multiple subjects, who is the true owner?  If there is a path
from every conscious state to every other, then only time separates the
conscious state I now experience from the conscious state you now
experience.  If all conscious states are reachable from by subject, then
really there is only one subject who owns all conscious states.  I think
(but am not sure) this is the point Ben was making.  Do you agree with this
line of reasoning?

Jason