On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> on the 3-view you can have on your two necessary existing 1-views. [...]
> if you confuse the 1-view on the 1-view, (really still just the 1-view),
> and some 3-view on 1-views, which is just empathy [...]  At the end of UDA,
> we know it is not 3p, but 1p-plural.
>

This illustrates the problem I have with your ideas, it's not your
mathematics it's the assumption you make right at the start which is the
foundation for everything else. The foundation is sand. You make all sorts
of distinctions between convoluted "view" and "p plural" stuff but you
can't give a scrap of evidence that such differences actually exist, nor
can you give even the ghost of a hint of a hint of a idea as to how or why
such a enormous change (that is nevertheless undetectable by the scientific
method) has occurred, you just ask us to believe that it has. You don't
claim that one hydrogen atom is different from another and I'm sure you
will grant that information can be duplicated, and yet when information and
generic atoms get together and form another identical body and brain of
Bruno Marchal then for reasons you never explain you say you've got to
start differentiating between different "views" and start talking about
"1p,2p,3p'". And through all this science can find no difference to make a
differentiation between. I'm sorry Bruno but I just can't get past that.

For example: If the body and brain of the Helsinki man is annihilated a
instant after the information in his body and brain was read out and used
to make identical copies in Washington and Moscow then you say the Helsinki
man is dead. But I don't understand why you say that, there is certainly
someone (actually in this example 2 people) who would very very strongly
disagree with you about him being dead because he remembers being the
Helsinki man and remembers walking into the duplication chamber just
seconds ago, and he has no gaps or jumps or discontinuity of any sort in
his subjective experience. He remembers walking out of the chamber only to
find himself in a distant city, and now you tell him he's dead. He wouldn't
believe you and neither would I. I just don't see what more the Helsinki
man needs to do to survive, he's survived from his own point of view and
after all that's the only one that matters.

> I don't assume physics.


That doesn't sound good.

>we are neutral on the natire of matter.
>

Nor that. And if you're not a big fan of matter I don't understand why it's
so significant to you that the atoms in the Helsinki man's body have been
rearranged into ashes, especially when there are 2 perfectly good identical
replacement bodies available that were made of atoms that were just as good
as the atoms the have in Helsinki and arranged in exactly the same way .

  John K Clark

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to