Research on this is ambiguous and ideologically freighted, but you put your
finger on the right spot with: "though maybe not as much". Because given
all the toxic compounds from burning carbon based plant matter, the
question is why the "smoking cannabis leads to lung cancer" evidence is
much more of a mixed bag and less clear, than it ought to be, compared with
tobacco smoking.

This gap in the figures between regular tobacco users and pure cannabis
smokers, allows for the plausible conjecture that there is an
anti-cancerous effect (of Cannabis in your bloodstream, irrespective of
method of admin; of course smoking augments risk).. Survey the studies,
these harms are minute compared to risky legal behavior, such as tobacco,
alcohol etc.

Prof. David Nutt's work on harm assessment is particularly interesting for
anyone wanting a large scale and broad assessment of harms of different
drugs in comparison.

I think even NIDA found an anti-cancerous effect in their 2006 report,
while other studies note the opposite. This is less clear than people
think.