Marxism is more a criticism of capitalism than an economic system. I guess
the system should be called centralized planning.

The system and the policy can make a big difference in distributio of
wealth. The nordic countries are very egalitarian (and rich) countries. So
it was Japan. Germany is more equal than the USA. In fact the US is an
outlier among the rich countries (much more unequal than the rest).

Also, until the end of the seventies, inequalities did grow much slowly
than after the eighties.

Policies and systems do make a difference.