On 19 Oct 2012, at 23:41, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

2012/10/19 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

On 19 Oct 2012, at 12:26, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

A few discoveries of evolutionary psichology may help. According with EP the mind is composed of many functional modules, each one for a different purpose. many of them are specific of each specie. Each of these modules is the result of the computation of certain areas of the brain. A functional module in the mind has´nt to be an area of the brain. Because the model of the mid in EP assumes comp, and assumes an specific, testable model for mind-brain design (natural selection) it is well suited for issues like this.

Severe autists lack a module called "theory of mind" . this module make you compute the mental states of other people. It gather information about their gestures, acts etc. It makes people interesting object to care about. Autists can learn rationally about the fact that other humans are like him, they can learn to take care of them. But they are not naturally interested in people. They dont care about if you have a mind, because they do not know what means a mind in another being. they just experience their own. For them, yuou are robot that they do not understand.

That is possible, but I would say that "empathy", your module of a "theory of mind" is already present for all universal machine knowing that they are universal. Autist, in your theory, would be a L¨bian entity with some defect in that module, with respect to its local representation/body. Possible.

But the theory of mind in the case of an universal machine conscious of himself lack the strong perception of another selves that humans have from the visual clues of the gestures and reactions of others. The human theory of mind is not an abstract theory of mind, but a human theory of mind, which evoques mirror feelings like worry, compassion, anger that we would never have when contemplating a machine. It´s not a philosophical-rational notion, but a instinctive one. And because this, it does not permits to fall into solipsism. Unless a robot mimic an human, he can never trigger this instinctive perception.

Yes. It is a general theory of the consciousness and matter of all universal (Löbian) machines. Humans are special case.

In the other side an autist may have the rational theory of mind of an universal machine, but lack the strong perception of "there are others like me around". This is a very important difference for practical matter but also for theoretical ones, since the abstract, rational theory of mind is a rationalization that builds itself from our instinctive perception of a soul-mind in others.

No. The rational and the non rational is part of all Löbian machine.
In a sense Löbianity requires two universal machines, in front of each others. And one will dominate on the rational part of the truth, and the other will dominate on the not completely rational part.

The lobian machine can recognize another machine, even when alone. Of course nature has exploited this a lot at many levels, and even more so with the mammals, including especially the humans.

Bruno

We ask ourselves about the existence of the mind in others because we have a innate capacity for perceiving and feeling the mind in other. However, a robot without human gestures, without human reactions would not excite our theory of mind module, and we would not have the intuitive perception of a mind in that cold thing.

However this has nothing to do with the real thing.The theory of mind module evolved because it was very important for social life. But this is compatible with a reality in with each one of us live in an universe of zombies (some of them with postdoc in philosophy, church pastors etc) where we have the only soul. Of course I dont belive that. I have the "normal" belief. But this is one of the most deep and most widespread beliefs, because it is innate and you must fight against it to drop it out. This belief save you from a paralizing solipsism. That´s one of the reasons why I say "I believe, therefore I can act"

I follow you well. I agree. Comp is the inverse of solipsim, as it attributes a soul to a larger class of entity than usually thought: machines, and even relative numbers in arithmetic.

Bruno