From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-16, 01:02:40
Subject: Re: Wisdom from Calvin Cooldge

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:15:28 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 12/15/2012 5:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Can you answer my question?

Because conservatives generally speak from the perspective of the dominant
culture.

Hi Craig,

    Are there some other characteristics of conservatives that identifies them?
Does the particular nature of the culture matter for you?

Lakoff seems to be on to something when he says that conservatives represent
the view of the strict father oriented family. Which gibes with the whole
'pathology rooted in fear and aggression' diagnosis in that study I quoted.

The perspective is always - 'people who aren't like me have it easy' or
'inequality isn't important'. It's never 'yes, of course as a white male in the
US, I am among the most privileged people who has ever lived, and I recognize
the problems that might pose to others outside of my group and how important it
is to address those problems and participate with those others as equals to the
extent that I can.'

    OK, being born into a class automatically places a burden on one's life or
otherwise coerces a person to act in a certain way? Really? Is this an absolute
fact? Care for a minority report on that?

It's not about how a person acts, it's about where the person is allowed to
act. What country clubs they have access to. How long they have to tour Europe
after college before they get come home and apply for six figure jobs.

Craig

--
Onward!

Stephen