Hi Roger,

Lakoff is correct about conservatism and the father.
> It is not a pathology, however, to respect your  parents,

Agreed.

>  and respect is a mixture of love and fear.

For me respect is a mixture of love and admiration, which are things that
have to be earned. I loved and admired my father. I never feared him. To
fear him I would have to believe that he was willing to harm me, and that
would probably interfere with the love/admiration part.

My mother is a catholic and my father was agnostic. He agreed to put me
through religious school and remain neutral on the entire thing. Up to one
day when I was a little kid and couldn't sleep because I was afraid of
going to hell. He told me: "don't worry, that god they are telling you
about doesn't exist". It was the biggest relief in my life.

Religion tried to instill fear into me, when I was a little kid and
psychologically vulnerable. My father taught me how to be a decent human
being, no strings attached. Guess who I still love these days?

> That's one of the ten commandments.
>
> And if people feared God more, incidents like the
> mass murders in CT would be much fewer. God
> should be returned to the classroom. It doesn't have to be
> the Christian God.

Let's not even discuss the mountain of atrocities that were committed in
God's name. A recent one: 9/11.

The USA (a country I greatly admire for its many achievements, including
its constitution) is currently the least secular country in the western
world. Yet it's the only place where this stuff is happening. How come?

Here in godless Europe we have the lowest levels of church attendance ever,
legalised prostitution, gay marriage, decriminalised drugs and it's ok to
show female breasts on TV. Yet none of that stuff is happening here. The
only similar event we had was perpetrated by a god fearing hard-core
conservative.

> The Women's Movement has unfortunately killed
> the father in their understable desire for wage equality etc.

I had a great father. Many of my childhood friends did too, and then became
fathers themselves, and they seem to be doing well. What do you mean
exactly?

> I challenge you to find one ad on TV or radio that
> does not feature a man as other than a fool.
>

> And the death of the father has turned progressives into
> anarchists. The death of the father is the deathy of morality.
> It's the main problem with society today.

By objective metrics measuring violence, society nowadays is the best it
ever was. The likelihood of you being the victim of a violent crime is the
lowest ever. Mainstream media blows things out of proportion, that's all.

Best,
Telmo.