From: meekerdb
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-03, 13:04:46
Subject: Re: What Hell is like

On 1/3/2013 5:47 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
Personally, I believe
that the "eternal torture" of Hell is not to be able to feel God's
love and forgiveness. That would be Hell to a Jesus. He
refers to being tossed out and undergoing a "weeping and
gnashing of teeth".

Heaven and Hell were invented so that injustice, so obviously missing on Earth,
could be redressed in an afterlife.  I think it has a lake of fire because
people didn't think 'not feeling God's love' was enough punishment for say
Hitler.  Of course then they got carried away by superlatives, "Believe in my
god or he'll punish you worse than your god."

Hindus and Buddhists believe in reincarnation, which from
what we observe, is not always a pleasant life.

Personally I believe that Hell and Heaven are metaphors which extrapolate the
ordinary high and low moods of human consciousness to a super-significance. God
is a metaphor in the exact same way - an algebraic concept of X = Infinite
proprietary superlatives. If you are in a world of competing polytheistic
deities, each the representation of a personal superlative or sphere of
influence (God of war, Goddess of beauty, etc), then the invention of a supreme
ultimate deity who trumps all others in all categories is an excellent
political strategy. It's a convenient way to consolidate allegiance and direct
everyone's personal insecurities to a mass psychology solution.

Right. See Craig A. James book, "The Religion Virus" for a nice explication of