2013/11/27 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>

> [...]
> an almost clockwork-like society.
>
> I think an important point here is that we are wired to be
> sufficiently altruistic for a tribal society. The agricultural
> revolution was only 12K years ago, which is very recently at an
> evolutionary time scale. The level of altruism that we are evolved for
> doesn't feel like a sacrifice. Most people won't feel that sharing
> food with friends is a sacrifice. In fact, it is even a pleasure.
>
> But then, with the agricultural revolution, social complexity started
> increasing much faster than biological evolution can keep up with.
> This is why almost nobody finds pleasure in paying taxes. It's a too
> abstract form of altruism.
>
> > Such sacrifices can be in the course of
> > informal (celebrations)  or formally recognized as sacrifices in
> religious
> > rites.
> >
> > That is in our instincts and we naturally arrange our behavior to do so.
> It
> > is very interesting what happens we invite friends to a celebration. We
> > sacrifice our time and money and dedicate out attention to the others
> > mutually. Even the mutual perception of happiness being together assures
> > everyone that the others prefer to be with us and invest their effort
> with
> > us.
> >
> > Probably, the less formal the sacrifices are, the less efficient are, and
> > the sacrifice higher. I suspect that in really bad times and when the
> > traditional rites have been forgotten, and people does not trust the
> formal
> > institutions, the only alternative are human sacrifices. That happens in
> > marginal groups of modern societies. We have to investigate these matters
> > urgently.
>
> This is an interesting point. Formality allows us to make sacrifices
> that are recognised by others, thus creating some safety for
> ourselves. You make a sacrifice, but if you find yourself in need
> later, the formal rituals created a context where people feel the need
> to reciprocate. I think churches play this role very well. Mormons,
> for example, have a very formal society. In certain mormon areas,
> everyone feels responsible for all the kids, people will help new
> families and so on. This is interestingly similar to tribal behaviours
> pre-agriculture.
>
> At our current gigantic scales this breaks. You hear the complain all
> the time: "I pay my taxes, who can they do this to me?". But there's
> no one listening. Not because most people are evil, but just because
> there is literally no one listening. Of course the Internet is
> creating non-geographical locality (or post-geographical, as William
> Gibson likes to put it). I bet most people in this list see it like a
> tribe to some degree. There's a lot of conflict, but we would probably
> be genuinely sad if one of us died. That stuff is wired in us from

Paying taxes I do not find to fit with an intuitive notion of sacrifice, I
mean it is not experienced as sacrifice because the money is not a natural
(i.e. ancestral) possession towards we have a natural way to evaluate the
gain of loss of it.  Moreover it can not be made evident to the other
people in a public event, that is the essence of the rite or celebration,
in which mutual trust is created.

Probably the sacrifice of a marathon in a public event is much more
fulfilling for this purpose than money. When, In a celebration, I spend
money to make my friends happy, it is my time and my effort what
constitutes my sacrifice, not the money. Women usually do not appreciate
the amount of money spent by the husband in a gift, but the overall
 continuous personal effort invested on her. The sons of parents that do
not spend time with them have the same psychological problems, no matter
the amount of money the parent spend in material goods for them or either
if they are rich or poor.

Probably this is because the evaluation of sacrifice of the other is
hardwired to consider some kind of goods that actually were present in the
ancestral environment: personal effort, and personal pain mainly. or some
goods that were a product of  personal effort: the blood of hunted animals
or other basic posessions like the own blood, or some symbols that
represent them, wit decreasing levels of realism. For example an animal
bough   for a certain amoun of money(but not the same amount of money as
such)

To understand the mechanism by which sacrifices work for social
coordination is the key:  By making a clear and evident personal sacrifice
in a public celebration is a sign of proclamation of commitment to the
comunity because, if the individual does not reciprocate because it is too
much burden, it has to change to other comunity and he have to perform a
second sacrifice for the other comunity. So he will have no incentives to
do defect.

It is like the insurance companies (or by the way, the state run taxation
and services system): There is an initial payment, a periodic payment and a
payment if you want to leave. You can not receive the services of your
insurance company immediately. You either have to pay more at the beginning
or you have to pay a number of times before using the services. If you
leave, depending on the services you demanded, you have to pay a penalty.
 Religious celebrations and sacrifices are the same, but at the instinctive
(emotional) level. It is regulated by unconscious coordination mechanisms,
while the insurance companies uses the same game theoretical logic (I can
bet that insurance companies use game theory a lot), but it is perfectly
conscious and rational. not instinctive. I have no emotional attachment to
the other clients of my insurance company.

A country is something in the middle. But the emotional attachment for your
country is not a consequence of the money you pay in taxes for the
education system. It is because your cellebrations and memorials and the
history books, you read and all the things that you find easy to do with
the people of your country and not so well with other people.

The dynamic of religion  and sacrifice becomes clear when compared with an
insurance company: when trust grows and the people don´t lie to the
insurance company the payments become lesser and lesser. When the distrust
increase, and the demand of payment grows by liars or wrongdoers, the
payments grows until the payment is comparable to the service. That is, if
the clients have a false accident of total loss  every year,, the company
will demand the price of a car every year. if you kill people and expect
that the group will help you with their lifes from the probable vengeance,
it is expected that your group demand for you to kill one of your children
in public or to kill two enemies or to take prisioners for killing them in
the altar or some equaly horrendous. Otherwise the game theoretical
equilibrium will not work to stabilize the group cooperation. That`s what
happens in ancient and modern tribes.

> Telmo.
>
> > 2013/11/25 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
> >>
> >> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Alberto G. Corona <
> agocor...@gmail.com>

> least

> have

> for

> and

> the

> of

> of

> we

> >> Yes, and I also suspect that this is why pop culture is so loud.
> >> People of all ages feel this need to be distracted from the abyss. Not
> >> that I find anything wrong in pop culture per se, but making a big
> >> deal about some celebrity wearing a skimpy outfit is one of the many
> >> ways to distract ourselves from the nausea that can come when one
> >> contemplates naked reality. Another impression I have is that Europe
> >> is mostly a post-nausea culture, while the US is a pre-nausea one.
> >> This makes communication hard, despite the fact that we have so much
> >> in common at a more superficial level.

> >> I agree, it's funny. Obviously people could just donate the money
> >> directly to charity, so there is some fundamental need for the
> >> puritanical public display of sacrifice. It also promotes jogging and
> >> healthy living, which is a replacement for conventional religious
> >> notions of purity. It is acceptable under the new dogmas because it is
> >> science-based, but the underlaying religious needs are still the same.
> >>
> >> Then you have some funny moments, like when science finds out that
> >> stretching before exercise is actually counter-productive. It's a
> >> bummer, because stretching before a jog is such a wonderful display of
> >> piety, so similar to genuflexion before some altar. I wonder what
> >> they'll replace it with.
> >>
> >> Telmo.

> together

> everything-list@googlegroups.com.