On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> If you are able to conceive a god without afterlife

I can conceive of a afterlife without God too.

> it means you can conceive a non Christian God,

Yes.

> which is nice

Certainly nicer than the Christian God who is the most unpleasant
character in all of fiction.

> but contradicts the main atheist statements you already did in preceding
> conversations.

I don't see how. I can conceive of Harry Potter too but that doesn't mean I
think it likely he exists, although the probability that Mr. Potter really
exists would be far greater than the probability the Christian God exists.

> We might try to decide on a definition of "atheism", as that notion is
> very unclear,

The only reason its unclear is that your meaning of the word G-O-D is very
very unclear; and the reason for that is you've fallen in love with the
English word G-O-D even though you've abandoned the idea behind it. For
some reason that I don't fully understand you just want to make the
following sound with your mouth "I believe in God" and it doesn't matter
what the sound means.

> I use "God" in the greek sense of Truth

The Greeks believed it was true that Poseidon existed and was the brother
of Zeus. I don't.

  John K Clark