Jason,

How do you know "From Pam's point of view the event of her reaching Proxima
Centauri happens *before *Sam's 4th birthday. But from Sam's point of view,
Pam reaching Proxima Centauri happens *after *his 4th birthday!"? How do
you measure that?

You have to be careful to eliminate SR time dilation effects which are
MUTUAL illusions of measurement that disappear when relative motion ceases,
and stick with only the actual time dilation (clock slowing) of GR effects
of accelerations which are real and actual and are all that is left when
the twins meet up again. It is only these GR acceleration effects which
account for the different clock time t values when Pam and Sam meet up
again. The SR time dilation effects vanish at that point since they are due
only to relative linear velocities which then cease.

What we do know is that both Pam's and Sam's clock time proceeds in an
orderly sequential fashion through their own experience of the present
moment, and that present moment is shared before and after the journey.
Thus the same present moment was inhabited DURING the trip as well, but
what each is doing at any particular present time moment is not necessarily
knowable by the other.

Edgar

Edgar