> On 20 Jul 2014, at 5:22 pm, "'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List"
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Are you suggesting that language, or our superb mastery of tool-making had
> little or no effect on how our own human “self” evolved?
>
> Chris

Not on how it evolved after it switched on, no. I am saying that a self needed
to exist in some sense initially for language and tool-making to be possible.
The self does not evolve. The self is what makes observes evolution. Knowledge
evolves. Consciousness expands (perhaps). The self simply is. It is outside the
space in which these things you speak of evolve.