Angela,

Thanks for sticking up for the idea that a person may leave TM and
there may not be something terribly wrong with him!  Telling people
that I chose to leave TM voluntarily after having good experiences
with it and enjoying it for years is an interesting mirror on people.
I learn a lot about a person depending on how they react.

Of course when I was into TM if a person left I would go through the
same predictable moves of making the person wrong somehow.  I think it
is a natural reaction that comes when we hear someone has cancer or
something terrible happens.  We want to distance ourself from this
person so we can feel that this tragedy wouldn't happen to us,and that
often includes blaming the person a bit.  "Oh that person was just
too(fill in the blank)".

One nice thing about posting here is that I have found a few people
still on a spiritual path who "get" my decision.  Likewise I have
spent some time rehabbing my own perspective on people who continue on
spiritual paths.  I am just as prone to the "make wrong" move about
other people's decisions.  Getting to know someone as a more complete
person is part of the journey for me. It involves not seeing them in a
one dimensional way, as a "spiritual" person, but just as a version of
folks like me!

The specific point that Shemp and Richard bring up that somehow I
wasn't doing the practice properly or had gotten too caught up in the
guru thing is one of the oddest versions of "make wrong".  It involves
a few hidden assumptions about the program that are very odd.  Despite
my reporting that I loved the TM experience, trying to make it seem as
if I could have rounded for years incorrectly is strange.

What they don't get is that the experiences we have in meditation and
the states they produce are very tied to a set of beliefs and
assumptions about the value of those experiences.  Especially if you
are facile with language and use a lot of Sanskrit terms to describe
your experiences, you can get very locked in to a POV.  It is
inconceivable to think in different terms, underneath the assumptions
contained in the language.  Once you accept "enlightenment" as a
given, you are already hip deep.  But I no longer accept the concept
of enlightenment as a given.  And I don't accept that the experiences
of different ways of functioning caused by meditation is positive for
everyone.

The idea that the fulltiime people were doing something wrong is
common for parttime people in the movement.  Also the idea among
fulltime people that parttimers are not moving as fast is pretty
entrenched.  The bazaar idea that people following MMY's instructions
directly are off the program is an odd notion that is unshakable for
Shemp.  I and others have hit my head against this wall more than once.

But here is my truth about how I left.  I enjoyed TM and its
experiences until the day I decided that it no longer served me.
After I left I spent some time revealing to the press that the
brochure version of TM practice was not the whole story, and that the
movement was deceptive about it's inner beliefs. It seemed important
to me that people be allowed to make informed decisions about TM
before getting involved.  This basically alienated all my TM friends
which I totally understand.  The Internet provides such a complete
understanding for those who seek it, that I no longer felt that I had
a contribution to make concerning TM. With TM's entry price so high it
is a moot point now.  People getting into TM now know or should know
all they need.

Posting on this board has been a personal mission to re-connect with
people on a spiritual path.  Of course my name is and probably should
be "mud" for TM fundies, but they don't post here.  Now I feel
positive about people making different choices than I am concerning
spirituality and this has been my growth.  I respect people who
continue to research their consciousness with techniques and think it
is important for humans to pursue, but not for me.

So Kumbaya Angela.  You have immersed yourself in many cultures and
POVs, so it doesn't surprise me that you "get me".  I am not a master
of anything or enlightened in the way that MMY describes.  It is the
ability to deeply understand many POVs from people from different
cultures, internal and external that is my concept of "enlightenment"
now.  It is an intellectual choice of perspective about people.  It
starts with an assumption that people have good reasons for acting and
thinking as they do.  It just takes some time to uncover them.

Thanks for the kind intentions.

Richard (meaning well I assume):

You've
>  lost the abilty and the opportunity to burn up your karmic
>  accumulations. Your only hope now is to find a true
>  spiritual teacher.

You gotta love it!

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Richard, you talk like a true believer on the basis of dogma.  You
cannot know what Deltablues state of consciousness is through knowing
him via emails. I don't remember who it was that claimed yoga was
exclusively Indian, and my question was is the realization that
Purusha is distinct from Prakriti tantamount to the realization that
"There is a void outside existence which, if entered into, englobes
itself and becomes a womb?" The obvious answer is, "yes."  That
statement comes from William Blake who practiced no technique and had
no indoctrination on consciousness etc.  He lived in the late
eighteenth century in an intellectual milieu that had invented
empiricism.  And yet he understood states of consciousness to the
point of clear descriptions of epistemology in each of those
states--which he could not have done without experience.

> Any of us can talk a good shtick about enlightenment.  Anyone can
learn that language.  Delta refuses to talk that way, but that doesn't
mean he is doomed unless he gets a spiritual master.  He may be a
master. Remember the Gita's answer to the question about how does an
enlightened man sit, talk, and walk?  The answer was there's no way
you can recognize him on the basis of these things. a

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com