Erik Hofman writes:

 > I've tried it and it looks quite nice. It seems to have a very low
 > footprint (concerning framerate) so that's excelent as well. The only
 > problem I have is it either leaks memory like crazy (about 4Mb per
 > second) or it ernlarges the FlightGear memory footprint by more than 225
 > Mb. :-(
 >
 > I've looked at the code but couldn't find a place where memory leaks
 > might happen.

Do you see this sitting still or flying across tile boundaries?  I
tried running FlightGear with and without dynamic objects, and sitting
still at the default location, RSS stabilized quickly at 79MB without
dynamic objects and 106MB with, and stayed there for over a minute in
each case.  I'm using G++ 3.0.

The 27MB inflation is, of course, still unacceptable.  I can think of
some ways to decrease it by quite a bit when I have time:

1. Make sure that objects used by multiple materials are loaded only
   once.

2. Do some callback trickery to cull the SSG nodes for dynamic objects
   when they are out of range (i.e. LOD keeps them from being
   rendered, but we don't even want them to stay in memory).
   Otherwise, the branch nodes for objects are kept in memory until the tile
   leaves the cache.

All the best,

David

--