Leslie Gadallah wrote:

> LoisTed Macdonald wrote:
> >
> > Hallo a Leslie,
> >
> > Chunnaic mi a' theachdaireachd "test" agad, ach de\ bha thu a' ciallachadh
> > le " Cuir oirre di\meas..."?
> >
> > I saw your test message, but what did you mean by "Cuir oirre di\meas..."?
> >
> > Tha Dwelly ag radh "Cuir air di\meas = despise". Chan urrain dhomh
> > cuir  di\meas ort, a bhana-charaid.
> >
> > Dwelly says ............  I can't despise you, my friend.
> >

>     Oh, oh.  What I meant was "disregard it", and the phrase comes out
> of MacLennan, if I recall correctly.  I'm really not out looking for
> rejection. :( So where did I go wrong?
>
> Slàn
> Les

A Leslie,

Gabh mo leisgeul. Fhuair mi an teachdearachd bhuat cuideachd, ach bha mi
tuilleadh 'is mall 'gad fhreagairt, agus tha an còmhradh a nis air dol seachad
air a' phunc sin!

Sorry. I got your letter too, but I was too slow answering you, and the
conversation has gone past that point now!

Actually, The word "dìmeas" suggested to me "lack of respect/esteem", so I spoke
to two Gaelic speakers about the phrase "cuir dìmeas air" meaning "ignore it",
one from CB, and one who learned Gaelic in Scotland. Neither had heard it
before, and had some reservations about using it, although one said he would
probably understand it.

Although "Ignore it." is a positive command in English, it seems to more
naturally occur in Gaelic as the negative command, "Na toir feairt air." or "Na
toir an aire air.", both meaning more literally, "Pay no attention to him/it."

As one person said, "Cha chuala mi ' riamh e, ach chan eil sin ag ràdh nach eil
e ceart."
...............I  never heard it, but that doesn't say it isn't right.

Did MacLennan's mention either of these phrases  ( Na toir feairt air, na toir
an aire air ) ? It seems to me that  they are both more appropriate and more
colloquial, as least as far as I can discover.

'S math nach do reòthadh an gàradh agad. Tha tomatoan agam ag abachadh, ach chan
eil guth air reòthadh an seo fhathast. Chan eil e fad às..........

It's good that your garden didn't freeze. I have tomatoes ripening here, but
there's no word about frost yet. It isn't far off........

Le meas,
Aonghas