Hi tom.

i actually like the direction your taking with Mota here. As I've said before, it was the atmosphere of shades of doom and the large amount of area to explore as much as it's evil monsters and full first person gameplay which got me interested in audio games in the first place.

There are certainly many mainstream games that do this, going right back to even Zelda on the Nes, in fact the reason I became such a fan of the mega man and metroid games is that these are the closest I've come to true rpgs without need to read text, so it's certainly possible, ---- though thus far I'd say not too many audio games have really attempted it too much Sarah, terraformers and to an extent shades of doom and monkey business (though imho that one failed on the background vs forground objects front as well as in navigation generally), are the ones which occur to me, and certainly not in 2D.

One other advantage of having puzles and description elements in a full action game, is limiting the parza.

while I stil play gamebooks, brouser games and muds, I've largely given up with interactive fiction, because I just found far too many games with puzles who's solution was so ridiculous as to be unguessable, or who's parza simply got in the way of what I wanted to do.

for every good adventure I tried, I'd have to go through about 7 or 8 frustrating ones, thus I frankly felt the return wasn't really worth it.

Cut the parza though to a simple use x with y, or limit the characters choices, and things become far easier, pluss you can have many more whacky puzles simply because players can just try using everything with everything else and seeing what happens or examining everything for information, ----- this was how graphic adventure games like secret of monkey island, broken sword and loom worked.

Beware the grue!