Hi Thomas,
You wrote:
As for myself personally I am leaning against anything involving
anyone from the original Star Wars books and movies such as Luke
Skywalker, Darth Vader, etc simply because there is so much written
about them it is getting to be, for me at least, the same old thing

The one thing you didn't list is games with them.
I've gotten countless messages asking why Harry Potter isn't in my Hogwarts game. Sighted people and yourself have burnt out on those games but so far the blind have been denied playing a truly accessible Star Wars game that includes the big stars of the books and movies.
I hope you re-consider this stand against using them in your game.
The main reason to use known characters is that most people know who they are and their attributes and skills. With a game using unknown or background characters, you would have to explain them to the game player.
As for copyright, you could call them,
Duke Flywalker, and Barth Bader.
Phil