Simply installing gimp 2.2.8, creating an image, of any size, and selecting "Print" from the file menu of that image reproduces this.

I've never seen this kind of problem, and this is the first report
I've heard of anything of this sort.  I'm cc'ing Roger Leigh, our
Debian expert.

Thanks for the continued help

Roger, Brian has a rather odd problem whereby when he starts the Print
plugin on a fresh image he gets completely empty positioning boxes
(nothing filled in for any of the position/sizing boxes).  I'll send
you a screenshot under separate cover.

One thing to note, Roger, is that this is only prevalent in our packaging of gimp 2.2.8, as Debian's package, last I checked, has printing explicitly disabled for some reason. (Perhaps for the same problem, but I doubt it) I'm sure you have far more insight on this than I do, however.