At 03:30 PM 12/13/01 -0600, Frank Gilley wrote:
>Do you know for a fact that upgrading from 98 to 99SE will get you the
>next release free due to ATS membership?  Or is this speculation?

It has been represented to me as a certainty.

The fact is that 99SE is enough of an improvement over P98 to be worth the
current upgrade cost.

>Other 99SE members (us) are supposedly grandfathered ATS members, and you
>can bet they will charge us for the next release.

No, we are not grandfathered ATS members. The official statement is that we
don't need ATS, because we receive what are *currently* the same benefits.

When Phoenix is released, then we will need ATS, and the price they will
charge us for ATS has not been announced. I've speculated or inferred that
the price will be under $1995; one Protel employee seemed determined to
convince me that $1995 would be a perfectly fine price. But I don't know if
he actually knew.

What I would expect from history is that it will be announced as a special,
limited-time offer at a figure as low as $995. This will keep most of the
current 99SE licensees happy; most of us have been expecting a new release
for a year or so, and looking forward to certain improvements that we
expect to be worth the price of upgrade. Then the price will go up, to not
more than $1995. We can all worry later about what happens the year later,
when ATS comes up for renewal, and we will have a better understanding of
how Altium intends to earn the ATS price.

But what I would expect and what will actually happen certainly may not be
the same....

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA