On 04:50 PM 28/03/2002 -0800, JaMi Smith said:
>Jon
>
>Yes, you are absolutely right, it is scary, but on a 6 layer board with
>some areas needing 50 ohm controlled impedance on both sides of the
>board for some 2.7 GHz Optical / RF stuff, and the rest of the board
>being primarily analog using small SO-8 or SOT-23-5 Amplifiers with tons
>of 0402 discretes packed in with 20 mil clearance part to part, on both
>sides of the board, and my silkscreen reduced to 25 mil x 5 mil, there
>sometimes just isn't room to place the cursor in the center of a
>component when there are several traces and also some reference
>designators in the way. I generally try to sneak in under the edge of a
>reference designator on the top layer to get at a component pad on the
>bottom layer, or to at least get a selection box from which I can choose
>what I want to select.

Jami,

You can restrict actions to certain entity types - so if you are moving
designators you can set up a Move-String command (see the Move Process
reference) - this dramatically helps in dense designs.  The same is
possible with pads, components, tracks etc.  So if you are doing a lot of
stuff on the same entity type setting up (or using the default commands)
that restrict actions to specific entity types is often useful.

As a check, I just tried to see if I could get a component primitive to
move with the PCB:MoveObject|Object=Pad process and parameter.  No go, the
pad stayed fixed to the component.  The only method I knew of moving a pad
of a component with locked primitives is to edit the pads XY coords.

Now I know another - some strange sequence of operations may cause it when
moving/rotating a selection - at least that is what is seeming likely to me
from Brad and Dennis's reports.

Bye for now,
Ian Wilson