ED: What are the most common motivations and expectations that direct
individuals toward zen practice?
Mayka: No motivation, no expectations. No search for zen. No interest for
zen. The only thing is that after going in circles and just by a chance one day
one discovers that there is: Only the here and the now lived in awareness!. And
automatically one becomes a zennist! So it's zen that choose its practitioners
and not people who choose to be a zennist.
ED: I do hope zen would choose me - but I had better start doing zazen again.
Mayka: I don't think that hope will make one eligible for zen. It's in not in
hope that one knows to be breathing but by a natural motion of nature
observed while in awareness. Zazen into action more effective than inactive
hope.
ED: Is the enlightenment process something other than what is suggested
immediately above?
Mayka: There is no enlightenment
ED: I use 'enlightenment' synonymously with 'realizing Buddha nature'.
Mayka: Buddha nature is found in the here and the now. Use the awareness of
the in and out breathing 24 hour over 24 hours even in one sleep and in
whatever task one is doing. Acknowledgement of sensations, thoughts,
movements, smells, hearing, sight....and you will experience the Buddha nature
by yourself. There is no realisation but just awakening or remembering of
something that is in you already.
Mayka