ED, Bill, Mayka et al,

If I can just jump in here. There is scientific data to suggest that the brain
has a kind of plasticity and so can be neurologically changed according to how
it is used. I think this is should hold a huge interest for those of us
interested in zen/meditation. Learning to pay attention to the moment and
letting go of negative thoughts can be seen as a 'skill' just like learning a
language or playing the piano. If one incorporates sitting into their daily
lives it'd be possible to change the physiology of the brain to better respond
to internal/external stimuli with happier results. Zen, as an art of living,
could then jettison all the religious mumbo-jumbo that it's wrapped up in now.

Mike