Hi ED:

Thank you for the trust you have put on me by  asking me the below main
question posted yourself.  That sounds a very American question.  Here in
Europe we never heard of these kind of questions about zen.  It sounds a
question to make more appealing the practice of zen to people.

I don't don't know whether the practice of zen alters the neurophysiology of
the brain resulting in an enlightened experience or not. I can certainly tell
you out of myself direct experience that there is a gradual transformation
within oneself.  This transformation has nothing to do with any kind of magic
or alteration of any kind.  According to my personal experience zen is very far
of being an alteration of any kind, well on the contrary.  There is no
excitment, no dualism and therefore no attachments while experiencing buddha
nature.  Buddha nature is not an static state either.  It's something that
comes and goes as everything else.  With the difference that there is the key
to get one into that state at any time one wants to be there.  And the key is
practice, practice, practice....Easy to say and not as easy to be put into
action.

It seems that in your question there is also a condition for that alteration in
the brain to happen;  and that is that in order to that experience to take
place one should be guided and trained by an acredited Zen Master. Let me tell
you with all due respect that a real zen master won't ever guide to an student
to any altered state.  And if you hear a Master of his/her students to say that
then walk away because you'll be finding yourself with a fake.  Be very
cautious with this because your way of approaching is asking to be manipulated
by non real zen.   Do not ever trust the "magic".  Zen is not magic but tedious
and boring to the intelectual mind.

Mayka