From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Re: FW: Amazon book
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, 26 November, 2010, 6:22 PM

ED,

I believe Mahayana Buddhism teaches that you should not enter Nirvana nor break
yourself off of the Wheel-of-Life (the continuous cycle of birth and rebirth)
until all sentient beings are released from suffering. This is not the same as
saying your should help others before helping yourself. Just like the oxygen
mask example, you do have to get yourself in a position to help others before
trying to help.

I can’t give you a source but one quote I remember from somewhere is: ‘First
attain enlightenment. Then instruct all beings.’

…Bill!