For me, the bell timer is an indicator as to how much I was in to my
mediation.  When the bell sounds and I am surprised that it is sounding so
soon, then that is a clue that I was present for my breathing and not for
other things.

Yes, there are times when my mind wanders off to the bell, wondering when it
will go off.  But that's one of a million places my mind goes.  The bell
itself is no more or less of a distraction than anything else.