From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-24, 10:56:41
Subject: Re: Zombieopolis Thought Experiment

On 9/24/2012 10:13 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> A computer being not conscious ? All computer operations
> (to my mind,probably not yours) are actual (in spacetime).
> But consciousness is an inherent (mental, not in spacetime)
> activity.
>
> Cs = subject + object
>
> A computer has no inherent realms, no conscious self or observer.
>
> Instead, a computer is all object (completely in the objective realm),
> no subject.
Hi Roger,

     I disagree. You are merely stipulating that there is no "self"
possible and thus conclude the obvious implication. If we permit
consideration of an internal modeling system then the possibility of a
conscious self becomes just a matter of discovering whether or not the
technical means of implementing an internal modeling and updating
process are actual. There strong reasons to consider that a physical
object and its evolution in time are, effectively, the best possible
simulation of that physical system, thus a physical system is, FAPP, its
own best possible model. If there is a feedback between the physical
states of the system and its simulation that has come causal efficacy
then I would propose that we must consider that physical system to be,
in fact, conscious.

--
Onward!

Stephen