On 9/24/2012 10:52 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 24 Sep 2012, at 16:13, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

A computer being not conscious ? All computer operations
(to my mind,probably not yours) are actual (in spacetime).
But  consciousness is an inherent (mental, not in spacetime)
activity.

All right, in that sense a computer cannot think. I agree, but a brain cannot think too, nor any body. They can only manifest consciousness, which, we agree on this, is in Platonia.

Computer can support a knowing self, like a brain, unless you decide not, but then it looks like arbitrary racism. You just decide that some entities cannot think, because *you* fail to recognize yourself in them.

You could at least say that you don't know, or give argument, but you just repeat that brain can support consciousness and that silicon cannot, without giving an atom of justification. This can't be serious.

Cs = subject + object

A computer has no inherent realms, no conscious self or observer.

Instead, a computer is all object (completely in the objective realm),
no subject.

You can implement a self-transformative software on computers.

You should be more careful and study a bit of computer science before judging computers, especially if you assert strong negative statements about them.

Bruno

Hi Roger,

    I agree with Bruno's remarks.

--