My guess is that his primary concern is to develop the medical
technology to resuscitate patients in critical conditions - ie by
lowering the temperatue of the brain to prevent irreversible brain
damage whilst allowing sufficient time for the heart damage to be
repaired, etc. This is all a worthwhile aim of itself.

That it also gives him the opportunity to perform some simple
experimental tests of some of the more outrageous NDE claims, is
simply icing on the cake. It's good that he has a sufficiently open
mind to think of tests. I have heard (from somewhere unsubstantiated,
no doubt), that the tests have turned up nothing startling, but whether
it does or not, it's still interesting science.

It reminds my of a scientific investigation I performed into the
effects of pyramids on razor blade when I was at uni. Its the only
time I've really dabbled with woo. I not only got a negative result
(no significant difference between the treated blades, and controls),
but interestingly, I found a potential explanation of the effect. Both
control blades and treated blades lasted longer and were subjectively
sharper than the blades I used before the experiment. If I hadn't done
a controlled experiment, I would have concluded the effect to be real.

I published the experiment in a local student magazine (it wasn't
nearly rigourous enough for peer review), and the reaction I got from my
colleagues was quite interesting - generally very supportive, as a
matter of fact. I wonder if that would have been the case if I had
found a positive result.

Cheers