On 28 May 2013, at 01:42, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

In a way, professor, Marchal, you seem to be on the side of Stephen Wolfram, who once wrote about there being no need to ever do SETI, because, if we wanted to know advanced Extra Terrestrial technologies, it would be far, simpler to generate algorythems (sp) that contain these unknown civilizations. I tried to search and see if Dr. Wolfram eloborated on this strange, proposal, but seemingly, he did not. I am clueless, over what bit-stream one would run, and on what type of computer, we'd require to accomplish what Wolfram, once proposed. Perhaps Wolfram was just hand-waving, and merely exercising his imagination?

Wolfram use machines as metaphor, and is not aware of the FPI once you assume you can survive with a digital brain. So there are relationship, but big difference.

Someother, perhaps Wolfram, seems to believe that the entire physical universe is a digital computer. It is the digital physics hypothesis (DPH). This is self-contradictory, as DPH implies comp, but comp implies physics is not entirely Turing emulable (by the UDA for example).

But I like very cellular automata, I share this with Wolfram and others. I don't use them, as they are already a bit physical, assuming digital line, plane, etc. The "real" physics of the universal machine is independent of the choice of the initial universal base.

Bruno

Mitch

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, May 27, 2013 4:26 am
Subject: Re: That the mind works even after the brain ceases to function suggests its ...

On 27 May 2013, at 05:05, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

Understood, Jason. I became familiar with this digital universe
concept, first, through Hans Moravec, in Mind Children. I wonder how
possible it is to discover that we are part of an ancestor simulation?

By reasoning, taking the FPI into consideration. We cannot discover
this, but evaluate the probability, which might be high indeed. By the
FPI, our consciousness relied on all computations (infinity) which is
going through you state. In a sense, you are both in the simulations
by ancestors (which exist in arithmetic) and all the other
simulations, which exist also in arithmetic.

Bruno