On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 4:06:08 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2019, at 22:27, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> Why - in  numerical reality (UD)  - can't there be vampires, werewolves,
> that sort of things? They can certainly be "created" in computer
> simulations of stories of them …
>

> Exactly, that is why we need to recover physics by a notion of “bettable”.
> If you see a vampire, not explained by the notion of observable, you can
> infer that either:
>
> Mechanism is false, or
> You are dreaming, or
> You belong to a “malevolent” simulation (à-la Bostrom, made by angry
> descendent who want to fail us on reality).
>
> Fortunately, we don’t see vampires, and up to know, thanks to QM, we see
> exactly what mechanism predicts.
>
> Bruno

Seth Lloyd of course says the universe is a quantum computer. But what if
there are qualia in addition to (or combined with) quanta as the
fundamental elements of nature. Then the quantum computer - a purely
quantum information processing (QuIP) machine - needs to be upgraded to a
qualium(+quantum) experience(+information) processing (QuEP) machine.

The universe (now a QuEP machine) could have conscious beings who make up
stories about vampires and werewolves.

- pt