On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 7:36:33 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2019, at 15:13, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 4:06:08 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 6 Jan 2019, at 22:27, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Why - in  numerical reality (UD)  - can't there be vampires, werewolves,
>> that sort of things? They can certainly be "created" in computer
>> simulations of stories of them …
>>

>> Exactly, that is why we need to recover physics by a notion of
>> “bettable”. If you see a vampire, not explained by the notion of
>> observable, you can infer that either:
>>
>> Mechanism is false, or
>> You are dreaming, or
>> You belong to a “malevolent” simulation (à-la Bostrom, made by angry
>> descendent who want to fail us on reality).
>>
>> Fortunately, we don’t see vampires, and up to know, thanks to QM, we see
>> exactly what mechanism predicts.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Seth Lloyd of course says the universe is a quantum computer.
>

> That would entail Mechanism, but Mechanism entails that the physical
> universe is not a quantum computer, unless our substitution level is so low
> that we need to emulate the whole physical reality (not just the observable
> one) to get “my” consciousness. The term “universe” is also problematical
> to me.
>

> But what if there are qualia in addition to (or combined with) quanta as
> the fundamental elements of nature.
>

> You can always speculate a non existing theory to “contradict” an existing
> theory. Why assumes something when we can explain it without assuming it.
> What if the thermodynamic of the car motion works only if invisible horses
> pull the car?
>
> Nature is also a imprecise term. All my scepticism on the existence of
> nature comes from the observation of nature. The physical science are not
> the metaphysical science, unless we postulate (weak) materialism, which is
> inconsistent with mechanism.
>

> Then the quantum computer - a purely quantum information processing (QuIP)
> machine - needs to be upgraded to a qualium(+quantum)
> experience(+information) processing (QuEP) machine.
>

> With mechanism, the qualia are “easily” explained by the necessary variant
> of provability logic in G*. To add “material” to this would entail the
> existence of infinitely many p.zombie in arithmetic, and makes both
> consciousness and matter into irreductible mystery. What is the goal?
>

> The universe (now a QuEP machine) could have conscious beings who make up
> stories about vampires and werewolves.
>

> The arithmetical universe? Yes. Necessarily so with the computationalist
> hypothesis.
>
> Some of your remark shows that you have not studied my contribution. To
> avoid repetition, it might be useful to study it. Just criticising a
> conclusion because we have another theory is not that much interesting,
> especially when the “other theory” is not presented in a specific way (as
> [...]

I don't think your theory refutes the existence of matter. (That would be a
surprise to materials scientists, fro example.)

At best, your theory (universal numbers, machines, dovetailers) is a
possible *denotational semantics* for experiential processing, which *takes
place in matter*.

(But that still can be a contribution, but it is by no means the complete
picture.)

- pt