Hi Dark,

I see your point, but I'm still not sure I'd want to introduce
multiple classes into the game. For one thing it is several times more
complex because i'd have to have multiple stat checks that boils down
to if ship is class x do this and if ship is class y do that. Perhaps
an idea for an update or something as that can get quite involved in
terms of coding.

As for a mission builder like Lone Wolf its not a bad idea, but I
really don't know how I would implament one. You know, I generally
like using prerecorded speech, and in a case of Star Trek this is a
case where prerecorded speech sounds better. I can make AT&T Crystal
or one of the other voices sound something like the ship's computer
which is exactly the kind of effect I want in a game like that. If so
then you couldn't have a mission parcer as that would require Sapi
speech, and I personally think having a mock Star Trek computer would
sound better than a generic Sapi voice.

The other major issue for me is the fact Sapi support isn't a
cross-platform solution. In order to port said game to Linux or Mac OS
is I'd have to spent x amount of time ripping out the Sapi support and
replace it with the target platforms TTS services which increases
production time and energy. Not only is this more time consuming I'm
not sure it is worth the extra effort.

What I mean by that is a couple of years back when I did my USA Games
survey I specifically asked people about Sapi support etc. One of the
things I discovered from that survey is that the majority of Windows
users only have or use the default Sapi voices like Mike, Mary, or Sam
which are in my opinion simply aweful. On Linux most just use the free
ESpeak TTS engine or Festival because they are free. Again, they sound
terrible compared to comercial TTS solutions for Linux. I realized
since this was the case it would be better to prerecord the voices
than depend on whatever voices may or may not be installed on the
machine.

Finally, there is the issue of the mission builder itself. Sure I
could add scripting ability via Angelscript, Lua,  etc, but then I
would have to write a manual to tell people how to program the
mission, and have to answer newby questions on how to use the mission
builder. I don't know at this point if I want to go through all that
work supporting third-party missions. Its something I'd have to think
about before officially deciding one way or the other.

Cheers!