Hi Michael,

Well, that's a difficult question to answer. However, the biggest
reason why not all game play elements or features are not supported by
every single port of a game comes down to differences in the console
or target environment itself. There is no universal software
development kits, APIs, that work identically on every single target
environment out there. Those that try to implament a one-size fits all
solution like SDL, SFML, whatever tend to be nothing more or less than
extremely generic support for input, graphics, and audio. Meaning if
an OS or game console has some advanced features they most likely
won't be supported by your cross-platform API.

For example, let's compare USA Raceway. If I write the game for
Windows using Direct Input and XAudio2 I can support a number of input
devices like keyboards, mice, and joysticks as well as something like
force feedback racing wheels. XAudio2 has the potential of producing
true 7.1 surround sound support. All of this is just fantastic, and
features that might be selling points for Windows customers. However,
suppose I port the game to Linux?

Well, first you need to know that SDL's support for keyboards, mice,
and joysticks is very generic, and actually uses a different way of
handling input than DirectInput so the input might not be as
responsive as the Windows port using DirectX. Plus SDL currently does
not support force feedback so there goes all of the force feedback
game controllers out there. For audio if we want something like
XAudio2 we have to use something like OpenAL, because SDL Mixer is ok
for stereo panning, but doesn't have 7.1 surround sound support. So as
you can see the APIs for Linux themselves don't have the same features
available than something like DirectX making it impossible for a
developer such as myself to create an exact port of the game to that
platform with features x, y, and z.

This problem is a common one when porting a game between gaming
consoles. Every game console has its own unique API, software
developer kits, and they are not completely identical in features or
ability. So the best any game developer can do in that situation is
make the games as similar as they can and remove or change whatever
doesn't apply to that console.

As for Lara Croft Gardian of Light I can't really tell you the
diference between ports. The only version I have purchased and have
played is the PC version. I have not tried the PS III or XBox ports
myself.

HTH