Gary R., List:

I appreciate your positive feedback on my proposed definitions for the
Immediate Object and Collateral Experience.  I included additional ones for
Habits of Interpretation and the Commens in my latest reply to Edwina, and
will be elaborating on all of that eventually, probably in a new thread.
Rediscovering Peirce's notion of a Quasi-mind was a bit of a breakthrough
for me, and serendipitous in that it only happened because I looked up the
bees and crystals passage when Helmut could not find it.

I had to laugh when you referred to "flaming burners," because I was
thinking the whole time of an electric stove.  I suspect that was due to a
childhood experience of my own, when my mother had just turned off such a
burner, so it was no longer glowing red when I casually set my arm down on
it to hand her a popsicle that I wanted her to unwrap for me.  I still
vividly remember the stripes of singed flesh that resulted.  I guess this
is another helpful reminder of the context-dependence of any concrete
Sign-action.

If the DO is the hot burner, and the IO is the girl's sensation (not
feeling) of pain, and the DI is her scream, then what is the R?  It would
have to be something internal to the girl as a Quasi-mind, presumably some
kind of mental Token that associates the pain with the burner as a new
addition to her Collateral Experience.  This particular DI is likely
prompted by her established Habit of Interpretation for responding to pain
in general--mostly instinctive, rather than learned, except perhaps that
the specific form of the sound itself (as you originally suggested) has
been picked up from her French-speaking environment.  The FI might very
well be produced by just this one Sign, rather than repetition--namely, the
habit of not touching hot burners, or perhaps not touching burners at all,
just to be safe.  This addition of the new FI to her previous stock of
Habits of Interpretation constitutes a Habit-change--i.e., an instance of
genuine learning.

I agree that diagrammatic analyses are not all created equal--as in
engineering, while there is rarely only one *right *answer, there are
certainly many *wrong *ones.  I see the main benefit of insisting on
consistent terminology as bringing greater clarity to *each *analysis, such
that different ones can then be evaluated on a level playing field;
apples-to-apples, so to speak.  And I definitely agree that what we are
trying to do here is an oversimplification--abstracting and idealizing a
situation that is both complicated and complex--but nevertheless believe
that there are valuable insights to be gained from the effort.

On Fri 09/02/18 1:26 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com sent: