On 08/04/2002 04:08 AM, Justin French wrote:
> on 04/08/02 3:55 PM, Acer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>

>>so fine zend is ripping people off, what's the point?  well it has been
>>damaging to php is my point.  no one knows what php is and no one will pay
>>you to do php.  why blame zend on this?  no matter what rasmus says that 600
>>people have access to the cvs, php is zend and zend is php.
>

> I don't believe Zend's charging for commerical extensions to the product has
> harmed it in any way.  I also don't believe that Zend is ripping people off.

Except that Zeev blocked APC people from contributing with their open
source cache extension to PHP. Therefore, Zend business practices are
harmful PHP development.

> You have no way of telling if any competitive product does as good a job,
> and furthermore, since the *one product you found* is in beta, then the
> argument is totally shallow.

It depends. Yahoo was certainly able to decide that Nick's PHP
Accelerator was a better solution than Zend Cache. Why can't Nick's PHP
Encoder be better than Zend Encoder?

> PHP has made a massive indentation into the server-side scripting world in
> just a few years, and I get emailed about jobs and contracts ALL THE TIME
> that want me to use it.

You are missing the point. One thing is living from the applications you
develop in PHP, another thing is living from developing in PHP for other
people. Some people have better vocation to do the first and would
prefer to do it for all their lives, but to market your applications you
need to be able to protect your code from pirates and competitors or
else you would have no business.

> Furthermore, perhaps the reason why you can't get anyone to pay you is (no
> insult intended):
>
> - your poor communication skills
> - your lack of any real programming experience
> - your lack of experience in the right projects / skills
> - you're not looking in the right places
> - you're only looking at advertised work, not creating a job

You are missing his point and you are being rude to point deficiencies
to him that may well be attributed to you.

> None of this is Zend's fault, and switching to ASP, or having Zend give away
> the encoder will not fix any of this.  You make me laugh.

I don't think the point is having Zend Encoder for free. The point is
being able to protect PHP code for free like you can with other
languages. It does not have to be with Zend products.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos