Yes,
We did talk about this a bit back.
I am talking about the footprint field or fields in a symbol, ie the list
you
can edit to define a footprint or footprints you would like to appear on a
board
for that symbol. In symbol under description there are 4 fields "Footprint
1-4"
Like you said if there is an entry in "Footprint 1" field in a symbol, then
that is the footprint that will populate the board upon first time of
synchronization. Or like you said you could put
any footprint you want on the board for that symbol also once in the board.
However from that point after if you changed the board to use the footprint
for a symbol that was defined in field "Footprint 2" then ran
synchronization selecting update footprints which is default it will replace
the footprint on the board back to th eone in "Footprint 1" field. I have
not tried this but,  I would guess that if you ran backannotation after
changing the footprint in the board that it would
update the symbol in schematic only to reflect this new footprint in the
"Footprint 1" field. But again
I am just pointing out to someone that if they think putting footprints in
any of those fields will keep
any, other than Footprint 1 on a board after update footprints, it has been
my experience that it will not.
Would I be correct in saying that if I ran back annotate after changing a
footprint it would have resolved this issue from a schematic standpoint
only, but not from a library standpoint.
Thanks
Bob
Robert M. Wolfe, C.I.D.