At 10:34 AM -0600 23/11/00, Don Foy wrote:

>Before the guys at Dantz get back from the holiday, I'll let you in on a
>little secret - 519 errors are some of the most common. They are not caused
>by Retrospect, just found by it.
>
>Retrospect is very demanding. It requires that everything be right in your
>machine and network setup (Imagine that).
>
>If you are having 519 errors, there is a problem in your setup, either
>hardware, software or network. You most likely either have a SCSI problem
>(which was the case the last time I had a 519, termination problems), a
>system incompatibility (sometimes a corrupt system or mismatched components
>(like OS 8.5 with ASIP 5 (that was pretty stupid)) or a network problem
>(replace those old hubs with switches, which creates more potential
>problems).
>
>Dantz has an in depth technical not on 519 errors at:
>
>http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=tn415

So Retrospect reports errors that it finds in the network setup that
doesn't affect ANYTHING else? If these errors existed then why does
nothing else complain? I'm sure that it does hit the network hard,
but IMO it should be written to cope with that. It should not the
task of the customer to swap NICs or hubs or whatever until one is
found that works. If a NIC will connect with the network then
Retrospect should be able to use it.

I copy large files from one machine to another, but that never fails
so how come Retrospect falls over - badly.

You mention SCSI problems, but don't indicate if this was related to
the server of client. In fact I don't know if the 519 error is client
induced or resides solely in the server. Since this can occur with
all the clients it points to the server, but this is the third Mac
I've tried it on.... If it is a SCSI problem, then shouldn't
Retrospect report it as such?

Backup software should the most reliable software in use on the
network, yet Retrospect is the only software that consistently fails
to do what it is supposed to. I like Retrospect and simply want it to
run correctly and of course reliably.

--

Ken  G i l l e t t