My son has just started kindergarten at a full immersion Spanish school, which means that the teachers only speak Spanish. I have been trying to speak some Spanish as a result, and it is truly interesting. My languages in school were all read languages, Latin, Greek, Old English, so my only experience with non-fluent speaking has been brief touring in Italy with my school Latin and an Italian primer. As I get more brave about actually trying to communicate in Spanish, I feel like a totally different person than in English. I don't feel like I have thoughts I have trouble expressing well, I feel stupid. As long as the other person speaks slowly ad doesn't stray too far from the tiny channel I can handle, I am like a happy child, but then boom they roar off and I feel my brain left far behind
Thanks, Chris Austin-Lane Sent from a cell phone On Oct 23, 2010, at 9:03, "ED" <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > --- In [email protected], <billsm...@...> wrote: > > > Ed, > > > So, my advice is to give Mayka a very large amount of latitude on her > > phrasing, > > Yes, I should avoid responding to all statements, whose intended meaning I am > not at least 90% certain I apprehend correctly. > > > > > ... and approach all of her posts with a generous and positive attitude. > > > Otherwise she's liable to put a big case of whoop-ass on you! > > > …Bill! > > Definition of 'whoop ass' (new term to me): > > A can of whoop ass, sometimes written as whoopass, is a slang figure of > speech referring to a "whooping" (whipping or beating) of someone's buttocks. > It is used to indicate that aggressive and dominating actions are pending, as > in a competition or sporting event. ... > There is no avoiding the inexorable Law of Karma: naughty boys do what they > do and they get what they get! ;-) > > --ED > > > > > > > > > > > >
