Well Deborah,

If we sit down and observe our surroundings, the stars, the trees and clouds and rivers, it is perfect. We will also notice the following characteristics.

   * It harmonizes.
   * It evolves.
   * It integrates.
   * It balances.
   * It allows.
   * It cares. etc.

In other words, as an inseparable part of the universe, we inherit the same characteristics.

To be enlightened, is to be awakened to these characteristics. These are the nature of the universe. These are the nature of us. These are also the Tao, the Chan and the Zen. These natures are in everything of the universe, big and small. A fancy name for it is Self Nature, or Buddha Nature.

It is called Buddha nature, because this is the same nature Shakyamuni witnessed, then Buddhism was organized to honor his teaching. Buddha nature does not belong to Buddha.

Whether it is Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Chanist or Zenist, all practice to realize this. Some of us don't even need a religion to be awakened to.

I do recognize the fact that some the teachings from school to school may be different, or the practice maybe different, but all in all, Chan or Zen or Christian or.... are just labels to convenient the selection process for our karmic mind.

After all, even in the same school, each teacher teaches differently and in turn having different followers.

Yet, all are Chan. Therefore Chan does not belong to any particular religion, nor any philosophy, or any institution. It is always there without birth or death, and continues to evolve, just like the galaxies.

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org