Hello Deborah,

Thank you for your question. Perhaps you noticed that I usually just say what Chan is, and avoided to compare Chan with Zen.

Though some of my posts are being labeled as illusory, I had not done so on the contrary, because Chan taught me that Chan includes everything, including Zen. Chan is all. If I had not heard of a Zen post, then I should learn about it. That's why I join this forum six or seven years ago -- to learn.

The Tao influence in Chan is quite evident. If we read the Xin-Xin-Ming by the third patriarch, it almost sounded like Tao-Te-Jing. However, the Tao influence to Chan is more so in the practice - the sitting and the motion chan. Sitting is the Ying and Motion Chan is the Yang.

Tao is really not dualistic in the Chan sense. Tao merely laid out the path from TaiChi to the rest of the manifestation of all the forms, through Ying-Yang, the two to the four to the Eight, etc. It just illustrated the continuous division of the One. That's all.

Now back to what is Chan. Chan is really just a nick name for our universe. Academically, a comprehensive term for everything, those we know and we don't know, visible and invisible, permanent and impermanent, static and dynamic, etc. etc.

While most of the teachings tried to rationalize the form, Chan's focus is on the formless, or simply the life's energy and its wisdom, because everything is manifested by this energy and the wisdom. It is the dharma and the ultimate truth.

The only way to get to it, is to sync to it by first rejuvenating our physical body to be a baby, then open up our heart like a baby. Because, baby state is our closest state to our birth, and to our creator, the universe.

Somehow, the most important part of the practice, cultivating our chi, is not quite evident in Zen, which is the most natural and effortless way to sync up to the universal wisdom.