On 8/31/2012 8:23 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Friday, August 31, 2012 12:30:30 AM UTC-4, Stephen Paul King wrote:

    Hi Craig,

        They never state it explicitly, but it is the logical
    implication of their arguments.  "We should pay teachers more and
    useless businessmen less" implies all are paid the same regardless
    of skill, no? "We should stop paying private contractors so much
    to imprison more and more people on meaningless drug charges"
    implies? Most people simply don't try to explain their ideologies
    to themselves or others, whether libertarian, republican,
    progressive or whatever, they are simply not curious to know.

It's only the logical implication of their arguments if your logic is that there must be some reason why they are wrong to begin with. Paying teaches more (than they are paid now http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/teacher-salary-data.html) and useless businessmen less (than they are paid now http://current.com/green/89118297_fortune-500-ceos-relative-to-the-average-wage-in-the-united-states.htm) has nothing to do with all people or skill. It has only to do with executives making more and more money without contributing positively to anything outside of their own interests. Not imprisoning people for no reason implies nothing other than it is a terrible idea to allow people to make imprisoning people a for-profit enterprise.

Craig

ACK! I do not ever wish to get into this briar-patch! We could endlessly site particular studies of particular circumstances, but I thought that we where considering big picture concepts. My mistake. My opinion is that whatever the particular intensions might be, we can judge by the results whether or not a policy is worth keeping. Our current system is obviously imperfect, but is perfection even possible?

--
Onward!

Stephen