On Friday, August 31, 2012 8:39:12 AM UTC-4, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>     ACK! I do not ever wish to get into this briar-patch! We could
> endlessly site particular studies of particular circumstances, but I
> thought that we where considering big picture concepts. My mistake. My
> opinion is that whatever the particular intensions might be, we can judge
> by the results whether or not a policy is worth keeping.

I agree, but how can you tell what isn't working when everything that
matters is getting worse? I say we should experiment with different
policies in different regions and compare them scientifically. Let people
move to where they feel most at home.

> Our current system is obviously imperfect, but is perfection even
> possible?

That was the point, I don't think that anyone is suggesting perfection at
all. Progressive views are just that: progress-ive. Try to make things less
horrible for more people.

Craig