But they all you end up doing is that you, yourself , are not a religious fool,
like the rest. Which, for me, reminds me of the dismissive humor of commedian
Don Rickles, who would've jibbed: "Ah good! So now go sit in the corner and eat
a cookie."  In other words what is accomplished aside from pleasing one's
amgdala? So are the Jesus people-in a way that you know to be..stupid.

I understand that, but understanding how a stupid point of view came about does
not make that point of view any less stupid.

-And Jesus is also the ticket for being terrified of the afterlife. The God of
the Old testament may be the most unpleasant character in all of fiction and He
may have enjoyed forced cannibalism and torture, but at least once you were
dead you were dead and He was finished playing with you; but not so in the New
Testament of Jesus the Prince of Peace. Jesus is going to use all His infinite
skill to torture you as horribly as He can for all of eternity if you take just
one step out of line. But he loves you!-

Yes, I get that, and it does sound like an abusive situation that a spouse has
with a bad boy mate. The flaws in the abusive hubby get somehow overlooked. I
am guessing that these are tales told, and strung together like so much popcorn
on a thread, round a Christmas fir-or so it seems now.

-How about Cryonics? It probably won't work but at least there is a chance and
the concept isn't based on idiocy.-
For the same reason, that you believe religion is stupid, because you know, for
you, it cannot work. Purely, practical.

-Then why is geography such a enormous factor in religious belief?-
John, there is only one faith in the world that can now be identified as
controling  thought and behavior, and its georgraphy with exceptions, does not
yet control, all of South America, North America, India, and East Asia-yet.
This is the application of force and power that facilitates this faith, not
persuasion alone, this I can tell you. Remove the force and you'd get a more
varigated result.

-I am no fan of tragedy and I fear death just as much as the religious do, but
I know that being stupid doesn't help-
Then, if one is not stupid, the answer is much easier to attain, but for some
people, the world is a world of pain. Science doesn't seem to help, if, as lots
of bench, scientists do, accept obliteration, for family, and friends, and
merrilly, go on in life and careers, till, it becomes their problem. This is
likely what we all do, but denial is not a perfect tool set. It works well,
sometimes, but not always. When the scientist refuses to 'think outside the
box' is what we have today. The social meme of scholars, especially academics,
who don't see the problem, and feel nothing is broken, and focus on publishing
papers and getting grants-but it doesn't analyze or attack the human condition.

But, they've got theirs, Jack ;-)

> John, please understand from the Christian pov, that this (Christianity)  is
> an attempt to sustain life beyond death,

I understand that, but understanding how a stupid point of view came about does
not make that point of view any less stupid.

> Jesus, for them, is the ticket out of the tragedies, and suffering, in life.

And Jesus is also the ticket for being terrified of the afterlife. The God of
the Old testament may be the most unpleasant character in all of fiction and He
may have enjoyed forced cannibalism and torture, but at least once you were
dead you were dead and He was finished playing with you; but not so in the New
Testament of Jesus the Prince of Peace. Jesus is going to use all His infinite
skill to torture you as horribly as He can for all of eternity if you take just
one step out of line. But he loves you!

> This is the only ticket to get out of suffering-free card, and unless you
> have something, better, to offer,

How about Cryonics? It probably won't work but at least there is a chance and
the concept isn't based on idiocy.

> why would they give all that up?

They won't give it up and they won't do so because mommy and daddy told them
not to. Very young human children are hard wired to believe what adults tell
them, and this belief usually persists into adulthood even if its brain dead
dumb.

> I suspect it is how our limbic systems are wired, rather then indoctrination
> before potty training.

Then why is geography such a enormous factor in religious belief? If you tell
me the part of the world you're from I can make excellent predictions of what
religious beliefs you hold with far far greater accuracy than what you'd expect
from random guessing, and if I know what religious franchise your mommy and
daddy belonged to my predictions are even better.

> Some are just naturally less troubled by tragedy, or deal with it more,
> successfully, than the religious??

I am no fan of tragedy and I fear death just as much as the religious do, but I
know that being stupid doesn't help.

  John K Clark