On 27 November 2013 06:39, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> But we don't know that. There is no logical reason there shouldn't be a
> purpose to life, universes and consciousness.

No logical reason, but there's no obvious sign that there is one.

> And there might be deep reason, yet arithmetical reasons,  why we can live
> happy lives.
> Like they might be also reasons that it might not yet be as simple as some
> would like to thought.

In my opinion "purpose" implies a goal, which implies that one outcome has
been selected from a number of possibilities. This implies a conscious
choice was involved, which is why I said something like God would be
required to give the universe a purpose. Without that element of choice you
can't have a goal / aim / purpose, and you "just" have  inevitability, the
inexorable results of the laws of physics (which aren't purposeful in any
meaningful sense, as far as I know).

I would say that any "purpose" that exists within arithmetic would be of
the "laws of physics" kind, it would be a logical inevitability, rather
than something consciously selected.

(Perhaps...)