On 16 Dec 2013, at 19:30, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As I said you confuse "indeterminacy" (the general vague concept) with the many different sort of indeterminacy: 1) by ignorance on initial conditions (example: the coin), that is a 3p indeterminacy. 2) Turing form of indeterminacy (example: the halting problem), that is again a 3p indeterminacy. 3) quantum indeterminacy in copenhague (3p indeterminacy, if that exists) 4) quantum indeterminacy in Everett (1p indeterminacy, which needs the quantum SWE assumption) 5) computationalist 1p-indeterminacy (similar to Everett, except that it does not need to assume the SWE or Everett-QM). It is the one we get in step 3, and it is part of the derivation of physics from comp.

>> Only the first 3 make any sense, and even there all those peas are unnecessary.

> What doesn't make sense about number 4 (the MWI explanation of indeterminacy) ?

It adds nothing to number 3,

It adds a lot. No need of collapse, no need of 3p indeterminacy (which is bad magic), and QM can be applied to cosmology, including physicists. If you say that 4 does not add to 3, you reject Everett, and confirms that your critics against the 1p comp-indeterminacy applies to Everett (something you deny in preview post).

and if there were a explanation of indeterminate changes, if there were a reason they did what they did, then they wouldn't be indeterminate.

You confuse explanation of where an apparent indeterminacy comes from, and an explanation of why this or that event occur. Even in the case "1)" (the coin), we can explain that there is no indeterminacy (cf Laplace), but still an appearance of indeterminacy due to a lack of knowledge. In case "5)" the indeterminism is stronger as even a God cannot predict the result, and it is not a question of lacking information before the experience.

And # 5 is the same as number # 2.

This is just completely ridiculous.

#5 concern the immediate result of an 1p-experience (pushing on a button and opening a door), and #2 concerns the long run of a program, without involving explicitly the concept of 1p.

All you can say is that #4 is a *particular* case of  #5.

Bruno

  John K Clark