On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6 January 2014 06:47, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  1) High School algebra and trigonometry works.
>>  2) Things are local.
>>   3) Things are realistic.
>>

> > In fact Bell made a fourth assumption, although he didn't realise he was
> making it until later. Namely, he assumed that time is asymmetric.

I won't bother to argue if Bell made this assumption or not because it
doesn't matter, time is asymmetric.

> 4) Time is asymmetric not just at the level of everyday experience, but
> also at the quantum level
>  Bell's 4th assumption seems to me quite a reasonable one to drop, given
> that most physics contradicts it.

That is incorrect, most physics does NOT contradict time's asymmetry,
thermodynamics and cosmology certainly don't. Yes Quantum Mechanics seems
to be time symmetrical but even if Quantum Mechanics tells the whole story
(and we know for a fact that it doesn't because it doesn't include gravity)
time could still be asymmetric because how a system evolves over time
depends not only on the rules of the game (Quantum Mechanics) but also on
the initial conditions. The universe started out in an extremely low
entropy state, probably the lowest entropy state possible, so whatever the
true laws of physics are, that is to say whatever the rules of the game
are, it wouldn't change the fact that there are just more ways to be
disordered than ordered. So as the game plays out entropy increases and
time has a direction regardless of what the rules of the game are.

  John K Clark