On 11 January 2014 16:08, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/10/2014 6:01 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 11 January 2014 14:34, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, if there's one thing about the UDA that seems like magic to me,
>> that's it - how an infinity of emulations "condense" into a single
>> conscious experience.
>>
> If they're identical, I guess you wouldn't be able to tell the experiences
> apart. They would be "fungible", like the infinite identical copies that
> exist in the MWI prior to branching / differentiation. So they would just
> be one experience, even if it was generated an infinite number of times. I
> guess this is the "capsule theory" of identity, like Fred Hoyle and "his
> pigeon holes and flashlight" view of consciousness in "October the first is
> too late". From the viewpoint of the experiencer, it wouldn't matter if
> millions of pigeon holes were identical, with identical notes in them, and
> others only appeared once.
>

> But might their number provide a kind of probability measure for the
> continuation of your consciousness?

I don't know. I assume that it continues in all possible continuations, if
that isn't a tautology, but there's definitely a measure problem here - why
are "white rabbits" far, far less common? So what do you think? Does the
measure mean that I'm more likely to remain me rather than spontaneously
morphing into the ruler of the World? (dammit!) I think my mind is starting
to boggle just thinking about this...