On 1/10/2014 7:36 PM, LizR wrote:
On 11 January 2014 16:08, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/10/2014 6:01 PM, LizR wrote:
    On 11 January 2014 14:34, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com
    <mailto:terren.suy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        Yeah, if there's one thing about the UDA that seems like magic to me,
that's it
        - how an infinity of emulations "condense" into a single conscious
experience.

    If they're identical, I guess you wouldn't be able to tell the experiences
apart.
    They would be "fungible", like the infinite identical copies that exist in
the MWI
    prior to branching / differentiation. So they would just be one experience,
even if
    it was generated an infinite number of times. I guess this is the "capsule
theory"
    of identity, like Fred Hoyle and "his pigeon holes and flashlight" view of
    consciousness in "October the first is too late". From the viewpoint of the
    experiencer, it wouldn't matter if millions of pigeon holes were identical,
with
    identical notes in them, and others only appeared once.

    But might their number provide a kind of probability measure for the
continuation of
    your consciousness?

I don't know. I assume that it continues in all possible continuations,

Sure, but it is quite likely that you experience some things and almost impossible that you experience others. One of the problems with Everett's quantum mechanics is explaining this. I think Deutsch has argued that the probability has to be proportional to the number of continuations: So when you observed a quantum event that was only half as likely as its complement there must be three continuations. But then what is the probability is 1/pi? If you just assume there IS a probability measure then you can show it must be the Hilbert space norm; but that corresponds to assigning a real numbered weight to each "world".

Brent

if that isn't a tautology, but there's definitely a measure problem here - why are "white rabbits" far, far less common? So what do you think? Does the measure mean that I'm more likely to remain me rather than spontaneously morphing into the ruler of the World? (dammit!) I think my mind is starting to boggle just thinking about this...