On 11 Jan 2014, at 13:54, Terren Suydam wrote:

Hi Bruno,

The WM experiment is easy to grasp. For me the difficulty lies, as Liz guessed, with the infinity of possibilities. For continuation Cn does p(n) stabilize as the number of computations approaches infinity?

If not, comp is false.

Are there an infinity of possible continuations?

Yes.

Are they enumerable?

No, they are not. The infinite computation with some dovetailing on the real numbers or infinite sequences have to win on all finite or denumerable histories. But some possible chunk of them might play some role.

I mean there is a way of using intuition here but infinities have a way of making intuition obsolete.

Yes, but since Cantor we do have tools, and some can work in the theoretical computer science context. If the intuition is shown to lead to an impossibility, this will show a problem with comp, not with the math derived from it (normally, if there are no flaw in the math translation, based on the classical theory of knowledge).

Bruno

Terren