2008/1/6, William Allen Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > And then's the Sardinian city of Alghero (L'Alguer), which was resettled
> in
> > the 14th century by catalans.
> >
> Cool.  Try what I did for Illyrian, adding dates and alternative names:
>
>    "Scodra (hills, plains, river, !ocean)",     ;-400 42:04N 19:30E
>    ; |Scutari|Shkodra|Shkoder
>
> (If I were doing it today, I'd make that 3 lines instead, for
> readability.)

That looks pretty cool. Is the syntax documented in the wiki?

> Finally, Andorra (a catalan speaking country), doesn't have any cities
> > represented in the ruleset (Andorra la Vella, Sant Julià de Lòria,
> Encamp
> > and Soldeu could be added).
> >
> Under our rules, sounds like they should!  They must have been controlled
> or colonized by Catalans in the past.  As mentioned earlier, it's OK for
> the same city to be in multiple nations.  Dates of founding and
> alternative
> names would be good here, too.
>
> If somebody adds Andorran, can have it as a civil-war nation for Catalan.

That's fun. There's a joke  that says that, in order to gain independence,
Catalonia should declare war on Andorra, and then surrender. With such
brilliant strategists, it's no wonder we are not independent any more. More
seriously, yes, there is no reason not to have Andorran cities in the
ruleset, although Andorra has always been independent, as far as I know.
They speak Catalan because it's what was spoken in their area, not because
any one conquered or settled them.

An Andorran ruleset would be quite short of cities (Andorra is really
small), but it could be done.

> According to catalan nationalists, in order for a city or county or
> whatever
> > to be a part of the Països Catalans, it must be a catalan-speaking area.
> >
> Well, this isn't a political organization.  We're more interested in using
> historical information to make the game itself interesting!  We should
> include formerly catalan-speaking areas, too, not only modern ones....
>
> Right, let's forget about present-day politics or the whole thing will get
really complicated. History is what it is. Let's leave it like that.

If everybody agrees, I'll add a couple Andorran cities to the ruleset. That
was a good idea.

Joan